Data Source & Stock Analyzer Results
Stock2own retrieves all the numbers from a free publicly available web sites.
The major source for the financial statements and prices is finance.yahoo.com (all prices delayed!). We are trying to get as much data as we can and using more than 4 different data sources simultaneously.
All Stock Analyzer computations are based on our understanding of the Graham and Dodd approach to stock valuation. The same methodology was elegantly described in the book "Rule #1" by Phil Town.
You can find detail explanation of all used formulas and values in the Theory section.
For more books check out Books section.
Some financial ratios are not trivial to calculate and they formulas require to use certain assumptions. Therefore we are using pre-calculated numbers exactly as they we discovered from other financial web sites. Good example of such values are Beta and ROIC. Both of them are taken from msn.com, but you may find them different on finance.yahoo.com, for example.
Many other financial ratios have several different ways to calculate and stock2own implements just one of widely used formulas. All used methods to calculate financial ratios described in the Theory section.
Good example of the ratio which requires projection is PEG and PEGY ratios. For instance, PEG Ratio - is a valuation metric for determining the relative trade-off between the price of a stock, the earnings generated per share (EPS), and the company's expected growth. The question is how to define "company's expected growth". Many financial web site are using analyst's projected growth. At stock2own we are using analyst's projected growth (you can find it in the Stock Analyzer, section "Value Price", "EPS / Growth" forward projection) when it is available. When forward EPS growth is unavailable, stock2own is calculating Trailing PEG using conservative approach - we estimate "company's expected growth" as an average for the last 5 years.
Stock2Own TI Alerts are following "general interpretation" of indicators used. For example, if current market price is below moving average, it is usually considered as a "negative" or "sell" signal and vice versa - if the price is above moving average, this is usually a good signal. Stock2own is also catching "crossing" events and signal considered a "buy" or a "sell" signal on a day when the price line is crossing the moving average line. If the price stays above moving average, that would be considered a "hold" and so on. Below is the description of all possible TI Alert values.
Technical Indicators Cumulative Alert meaning
- All charts moved to the "positive" area.
- Almost Buy
- Some of the charts moved to the "positive" area.
- All charts moved to the "negative" area.
- Almost Sell
- Some of the charts moved to the "negative" area.
- No indicator changed direction. If you have an open long position, you would better keep it, there is no reason to sell.
- Stay Away
- No indicator changed direction. However, technical indicators recommend that you should not have an open long position.
- Alert is unknown: some indicators suggest buy, others suggest sell. So, be ready to act.
Market Condition computation
- Bull Market
- Current price is above the 50 day moving average and 50 day moving average is above 200 day moving average.
- Bear Market
- Current price is below the 50 day moving average or 50 day moving average is below the 200 day moving average.
If you want to use S2O search engine, all you have to do is select desired installed search engine from the combobox, which usually located at the top right corner of your bwrowser (please, see attached screenshot for details), type there information you are looking for and hit "Enter".
In order to use stock2own search plugin, we encourage you to type there country and symbol in the following format: CountryCode:Symbol
For example, in order to search for Microsoft you have to type US:MSFT and hit enter.
If you want to retrieve the value from a non-US exchange, you must specify the non-U.S. country code followed by the non-U.S. symbol. For example, to do this for a Canadian security, type the following line: CA:xyz. In this example, xyz is the ticker symbol for the security.
Please, keep in mind, if you do not use country code prefix in the search plugin, US country code will be used.
- IBM - shows info about US stock IBM
- US:MSFT - shows info about US stock MSFT
- DE:BMW - shows info about German stock BMW (country code DE)
Registration on stock2own is FREE and there is no obligation of any kind associated with it. As a registered user you will get access to price charts on Stock Analyzer and it will remain free.
Services like Watch Lists and Market Gauges require S2O Membership and current price for S2O Membership is $29.99 per year. It includes access to Watch Lists and Market Gauges for the whole year and also, as a special THANK YOU for your support, we are giving you 10 requests to S2O Stock Screener!
There are usually several subscriptions to S2O Stock Screener available and you can extend your subscription any time you want. Most S2O users who are serious about investing and decided to buy S2O Stock Screener Subscription, buy 1 year subscription - this is most cost effective subscription which allows you to use this wonderful service for just $1/day (less than most people spend on coffee).
Keep in mind that 6 month or longer subscriptions include S2O Membership without any extra charge! You can find all S2O offers on the Products page.
Note that currently stock2own do not do recurring payments. When your subscription is about to expire you will receive a reminder to renew, however it is up to you when to renew. All payments are made securely via PayPal, which accepts all major credit cards as well as allow you to pay directly from your PayPal account.
How to clear the browser cache?
It depends of the browser you are using. Please, follow the instructions below or click the appropriate link for detail instructions:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Internet Options.
- Click the Safety button, and then click Delete Browsing History.
- Select the check boxes next to Temporary Internet Files.
- Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to delete the form data and passwords associated with websites in your Favorites list.
- Click Delete.
- Firefox (detailed instructions)
- Once your browser is open, go to Tools and select Options... (Edit then Preferences... on Linux).
- Go to the Privacy tab, and click Settings... (in the blue box in the image).
- Select what you would like to have cleared.
- Return to the Options menu. If you want your cache cleared automatically, every time you close the browser, click the appropriate checkbox (shown in red in an earlier image).
- Press "Clear Now" under the Settings button.
- Google Chrome
- Once your browser is open, select the tools menu. (the spanner(UK) / wrench(US) in the upper-right corner).
- Select Clear Browsing data...
- Select the Empty the cache checkbox.
- If you do not wish to delete cookies, etc., remove checks from them in the list.
- Click Clear Browsing Data.
- Once your browser is open, click the Safari menu and select Empty Cache.
- Confirm the action by clicking Empty in the pop-up window.
Mobile devices love to cache all information possible and sometimes they remember too much. For example, if you typed your user name and password and your attempt was not successful, your mobile device may keep that information in a cache and will not event send request to stock2own.com, unless you change your password to something different.
There are several ways to deal with it:
- Clear your browser cache.
This is the best option. Unfortunately, it will clear all cached information from all web sites you have visited from your device. Just go to “Settings”, select there your browser and find a menu item “Clear Cookies and Data” or a similar link.
- You can click “Can't access your account?” link and try to login through that page.
- You can try to use your email instead of your user name – it will create a unique/not cached combination for the browser.